Mr. Robertson is a longtime friend who means the world to me. We met on the first day of high school many years ago and our friendship has endured time zones, distance, lovers, family, and personal tragedy. Actually, he was the recipient of the first lumpy sweater I ever made. Don’t worry, we never dated so Sweater Curses need not apply. Though, given the opportunity, I would find that sweater and sneak it into my bag so I could frog it and remake it into something less lumpy, more fitted. Actually, this feeling is what prompted me to make him another sweater. Well, it prompted the idea to knit him something.
I had originally decided I was going to make him a sweater, then I thought maybe he didn’t want a sweater. But what would he use? Fingerless gloves are always handy. A hat could make a nice gift. A vest? A cowl! I couldn’t figure it out so I got some real direction. One evening, I called him up and casually asked what would be the most useful thing I could make him. Ever the practical and humble man, he asked for a scarf. However, this was a conditional scarf: it had to have fringe or tassels. The hangy-downy bits are quintessential in his opinion. Cool. I had my direction.
Almost immediately, I did a Ravelry search for scarf patterns in my library. After looking at all 140 of them and eliminating all the lace options, I decided on something in a bulky or super bulky weight yarn so I could be guaranteed to get it done. Lately, my track record for finishing things on time hasn’t been so great so I gave myself every advantage I could so I wouldn’t fail myself again.
I took a look through my bulky yarn and landed on some Araucania Tolten I procured from a LYS closing a few years ago. It’s a beautiful green/blue/brown variegated wool and I’ve had absolutely no idea what to do with it. Finally, my yarn had a purpose–and enough yardage to add ample hangy-downy bits. I matched the yarn with the Rayski Scarf by Jane Ellison because I thought the nubby bits would work well for the yarn.
I ditched the other project I was working on and started (and completed) the scarf, then left it alone for a week or so until I had cut all the fringe lengths to make the tassels. I weighed and recorded my numbers for the scarf, without tassels, for Ravelry, then I washed it before attaching the tassels. I gathered about six lengths of yarn to make each tassel and used a crochet hook to loop them through the scarf. Once I was happy with the placement I washed it all again and trimmed the bottoms for relative uniformity.
This past weekend, I was able to hand deliver my handmade scarf to Mr. Robertson, who loved it.