Let’s paint a picture

I have figured out the next baby blanket! Actually, I’ve been working on it for a little bit but sometimes actual life interferes with glamorous cyber boasting. (Sometimes I feel like I’m dating myself by using the term “cyber” which may or may not be a used term these days.)

I decided to do a chevron pattern. For those of you who don’t know what a chevron is, it’s just a series of V’s stacked on top of each other. Like the gas station sign. Chevron. Chevron and Shell are very literal sign people.

Now, a chevron can be achieved by using only stitches to create the pattern. Did I do that? No. I decided to do color work using six different colors.

Here are the stats:
Six colors
Each color is two inches wide.
A one inch border surrounds the blanket.
The chevron V starts in the middle of the blanket.
The color of the outer-most V is the same color as the inner-most V.
Intarsia color work

Since the V’s are stacked, I have one strand of color for each side of the V (excluding the middle) which means I am working with 11-13 strands of yarn at any given time. These yarns are linked together by crossing the strands much like your arms would be linked when playing Red Rover.

When I started this blanket I thought I’d be fine with one ball of yarn for each color since I would need two strands of one color per V. I’d just pull the yarn from the outside and inside and be done with it. However, I quickly discovered that the brilliant way I designed the blanket would require a THIRD strand to accommodate the outer and inner V. Still with me?

In the middle of establishing this blanket (which I had to start three times) I had to divide each ball of yarn (already attached) into two balls. To be fair, two of the colors were already split. I just had to divide four balls into eight. I thought I’d split the balls as I needed them but that seemed more like punishment than reward. Three hours later, I was done splitting balls.

That’s right three hours. Why? Finding the middle of the yarn requires unraveling the entire ball (because these are remnant balls, not new balls), measuring to the middle from each side, cutting, re-balling each new strand and untangling in the process. Times four. Plus the emotional pain. This yarn I’m using right now was part of the Epic Knot that was at the bottom of my extra-large yarn stash hiding place. I had just untangled the yarn and balled it only to turn around two days later to unravel the balls, re-tangle, untangle (AGAIN!) and re-ball.

Getting started is always the hardest part.

Keeping so many balls organized is harder.

But you know what? It looks damn good.

It has a ’70s fall color combination. I call it the Sigourney Weaver jacket. No reason. Sometimes names just come to me and I go with it.

I’m about to start the color repeat and so far so good. I haven’t managed to mess up the colors yet so that’s a good sign. Now all I have to do is hope for enough yarn to make it a good-sized blanket. Otherwise, it’s going to be a very large pillow… or ripped out in rage.

Let’s hope it’s a blanket.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s